Fantasy mountain showing plants growing at different altitudes, by François Hérincq, from Traité de botanique générale, Paris, 1860s. Details below
- Palm, banana and pandanus region; starting at sea level, in tropical regions, and rising to 630 m.
- Region of ferns, fig trees and dracaena, 630 to 1270 m above sea level.
- Region of myrtles and laurels, 1270 to 1900 m above sea level.
- Region of evergreens, between 1900 and 2530 m.
- Region of deciduous trees of Europe, located between 2530 and 3170 m.
- Softwood tree region, which begins at 3170 and ends at 3800 m.
- Rhododendron region; 3800 m. rising to the region of alpine plantsat 4500 m.
- Alpine plants region, starting at the region of Rhododendrons, beyond 4500 m. and only ending at the eternal snows* which are around 5000 m.
*Translated from the 1860s original – “eternal snows”, before the impact of climate change